[PD] Re: metro vs. samm~

Eric Lyon audiodidact at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 16:43:51 CET 2007

> > If you're worried by metro's irregularity then you should use Eric
> > Lyons' samm~ (sample accurate multiple metronomes). This is
> > described in
> > http://www.sarc.qub.ac.uk/~elyon/LyonPapers/SampleAccurate-Lyon-ICMC2006.pdf
>
> Note that samm~ is almost exactly as sample-accurate as Pd's metro. I
> tried to illustrate this in attached patch. samm~ however is also
> available for Max, where the metro according to Eric's paper is not as
> accurate as the one in Pd, so if you need to move patches between both
> systems, samm~ is a good choice. Of course Eric's system has some
> convenient extensions to generate polyrhythms etc., but timing alone
> IMO is no reason to exchange [metro] with [samm~] on Pd.

Cool patch, Frank. Note though that by converting the click signal
from samm~ into a bang, you are rounding it to the nearest vector. As
I showed in my demo at LAC, I can make metro perform poorly in a
subpatch with a very large blocksize (say 4096), but samm~ will
perform the same irrespective of blocksize.

It is true that samm~ and friends were originally written for MaxMSP
to deal with its problematic event-level timing. OTOH as my paper
points out, Pd's audio thread is more susceptible to interruption from
GUI events than MaxMSP. In addition to convenience, The benefits of
samm~ come from its integration into a system of signal-level
triggering, particularly with the soundfile player called player~
which I think has some nice features.

Best,

Eric