[PD] Re: metro vs. samm~

Eric Lyon audiodidact at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 11:34:16 CET 2007

> > t3 uses time tagged triggers, samm~ sends clicks that are not time
> > tagged.
>
> I see, are there other advantages (cpu-wise maybe)? Since these
> periodic clicks could also be generated with t3-based abstractions.

If anything I would expect t3 to be more cpu-efficient, but the CPU
usage of samm~ is so low that probably the two approaches are
interchangeable. I would be curious to see an example t3-based
abstraction that does sample accurate metronome clicks. I think the
main advantage of samm~ is convenience. It's nice to be able to set up
a bunch of synched sample accurate metronomes, all at different
speeds, without giving much thought to the underlying mechanisms.
According to jkc at Cycling '74 all of the functionality of my system
of sample accurate objects could be replicated with MaxMSP core
objects, and I believe him. It would just be more awkward to do it the
native way in many cases.

Best,

Eric