[PD] Re: metro vs. samm~ (Frank Barknecht)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Feb 19 12:47:25 CET 2007

Hallo,
Eric Lyon hat gesagt: // Eric Lyon wrote:

> I showed it for both programs. According to my experimentation
> blocksize can make a big difference for metro in both Pd and MaxMSP.
> Please see if you have the same result:

It's not the [metro] that is shaky in your patch, it's the
[impulse~]! Attached variation proves this.

Pd's messages come in two kinds: regular, GUI-generated messages and
so called "clock-derived" messages. The time objects in Pd like metro,
delay, pipe etc. all generate clock-derived messages. Their timing is
not affected by dsp-blocks at all.

However, and now comes the important trick: DSP objects need to do
some extra work to make use of the accurate timing of clock-delayed
messages, when converting these messages to audio signals. So far, the
only object that does this is vline~ AFAIK. You may want to have a
look at its source to check out what needs to be done to convert from
control messages to signals with accurate timing. The doc-patch
3.audio.examples/C04.control.to.signal.pd has some more about this.

So the rule would be: When converting messages to audio and when
timing is important, always do the conversion with vline~.

Ciao