[PD] Re: metro vs. samm~

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 16:41:43 CET 2007

With all this talk, it would be interesting to actually get a copy of
these externals to try them out. Are these posted somewhere? Thanks,

Mike

On 2/18/07, Eric Lyon <audiodidact at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > If you're worried by metro's irregularity then you should use Eric
> > > Lyons' samm~ (sample accurate multiple metronomes). This is
> > > described in
> > > http://www.sarc.qub.ac.uk/~elyon/LyonPapers/SampleAccurate-Lyon-ICMC2006.pdf
> >
> > Note that samm~ is almost exactly as sample-accurate as Pd's metro. I
> > tried to illustrate this in attached patch. samm~ however is also
> > available for Max, where the metro according to Eric's paper is not as
> > accurate as the one in Pd, so if you need to move patches between both
> > systems, samm~ is a good choice. Of course Eric's system has some
> > convenient extensions to generate polyrhythms etc., but timing alone
> > IMO is no reason to exchange [metro] with [samm~] on Pd.
> >

> Cool patch, Frank. Note though that by converting the click signal
> from samm~ into a bang, you are rounding it to the nearest vector. As
> I showed in my demo at LAC, I can make metro perform poorly in a
> subpatch with a very large blocksize (say 4096), but samm~ will
> perform the same irrespective of blocksize.
>
> It is true that samm~ and friends were originally written for MaxMSP
> to deal with its problematic event-level timing. OTOH as my paper
> points out, Pd's audio thread is more susceptible to interruption from
> GUI events than MaxMSP. In addition to convenience, The benefits of
> samm~ come from its integration into a system of signal-level
> triggering, particularly with the soundfile player called player~
> which I think has some nice features.
>
> Best,
>
> Eric
>
> > Ciao
> > --
> >  Frank Barknecht                 _ ______footils.org_ __goto10.org__

Help the Environment, Plant a Bush back in Texas!

"I place economy among the first and most important republican
virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared.
To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with
perpetual debt."
-- Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect and author (1743-1826)

"Give Peace a Chance" -- John Lennon (9 October 1940 – 8 December 1980)

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything
we have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician