[PD] newbie growing pains...

jared microcosm11 at msn.com
Tue Feb 20 09:13:28 CET 2007

Hello list.

I'm having problems getting PD running comfortably.  The easiest way, in
my opinion, for someone trying to learn PD is to open existing patches
that are similar, or use the same objects, as the patch they are trying
to build.  I've been quite frustrated because it seems that most of the
patches that I open won't work on my system.  This is obviously my
fault.  I probably don't have files/patches/externals in their right
places.  I think the biggest obstacle, for beginners, is getting PD
setup correctly and to get everything running smoothly.  I mean, the
main installation of PD isn't the problem....it's when you start to dig
in to other patches and externals outside of the initial
installation....anyway, I'm rambling....I just think that PD's momentum
as a growing community might be a little stronger if these basic things
were ironed out....okay, off of my soap box!

Can someone give me some help with the following errors?:

When opening 'filter_example' from vasp
'error: inlet: expected "but got 'float'

When opening 'cconj' from vasp
vasp.spit 2
.. couldn't create
 vasp.* -1
.. couldn't create
 vasp.gather
.. couldn't create
 vasp
.. couldn't create

When opening 'vasp.even'
vasp.frames?
.. couldn't create

When opening 'wavedisplay-select'
asp.frames 20
.. couldn't create
 vasp.offset 0
.. couldn't create
 vasp.max?
.. couldn't create
 vasp.min?
.. couldn't create
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'float'

When opening 'aks' synth patch
makesymbol %s-r%s
.. couldn't create
 makesymbol pd-%s-receive
.. couldn't create
 makesymbol %s-%s
.. couldn't create
 makesymbol %s-r%s
.. couldn't create
 avg~
.. couldn't create
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'float'
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'float'
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'float'

When opening martin brinkman's 'newcoolish1'
couldn't create
 <~ 0
.. couldn't create
 vcf_lp2~
.. couldn't create
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'float'

PD crashed when loading martin brinkman's 'groovebox1' 'fmfm1' and
'grainstates1'

Endless errors: 'error: inlet: expected '' but got 'bang' messages when
opening structseq

Thanks so much for the help!!

jared