[PD] is this a spectral gate?

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 19:41:33 CET 2007

This looks sweet, thanks Frank! Hoping to have a play with this as
soon as I get to do some actual music making later this week. By the
way, I thought I'd clarify what I meant with the example of Plogue
Bidule. The website invites one to: "Transform audio in the spectral
domain, with Bidule's FFT modules. Time domain audio is split into two
types of data, frequencies and magnitudes, which can be manipulated
using a wide variety of spectral bidules."
http://www.plogue.com/img/Spectral.png

So basically, in most of the "simple" fft software, they split the
signal into freq and amplitude. You can see in the screenshot this is
represented by yellow and orange connectors, and they have specific
objects so you can play with a whole bunch of crazy transformations on
both freq and amp, and then you can resynthesize it back with an
inverse fft module.

I see that I can also get the freq and amplitude info from PD's fft,
once I'm awake enough to follow your math anyway! But I'm wondering
where the phase comes in exactly - in Plogue I'm assuming the phases
are somehow calculated auto-magically? They DO let you set the
blocksize of the signal with the fft. Also, how does this relate to
[fiddle~], because fiddle I understand, it gives me a fundamental freq
and the amplitude of some number of harmonics, and I could take that
info (for instance) to resynthesize stuff in some additive synth.

~David