[PD] is this a spectral gate?

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 23:30:21 CET 2007

On 2/21/07, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> fiddle works a bit differently, but it will not give enough
> information to make a clean resynthesis.  Remember: An FFT on a
> blocksize of 1024 will give you 1024/2 = 512 resynthesis channels, or
> 512 virtual "oscillators". fiddle~ basically only gives one frequency.

Aha, okay. I'm really beginning to understand this more, everything
you said made things much more clear to me.

Oh, and just to clarify: I think you mean that [fiddle~] will give you
more than one frequency, but all the additional freqs are harmonics of
one fundamental frequency - so you can get timbre information about a
single note melody, at least I had some success doing this in
experiments, and resynthesizing with an additive bank of [osc~]...
Not, by any means, a super-accurate resynthesis, but I was using it
more to do timbre morphs rather than any accurate representation.

~David