[PD] a couple of questions

Steffen stffn at dibidut.dk
Thu Feb 22 11:49:48 CET 2007

On 22/02/2007, at 11.02, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Steffen wrote:
>> On 22/02/2007, at 7.02, jared wrote:
>
>> If you put it in 5.reference folder you can get to it from the help
>> browser. If you put it in the extra folder (that is next to the
>> external file) you can open it by right-clicking an [fluid~] object
>> and choose 'help'. So puting it in both places would maybe give the
>> best enduser experience.
>
> i would definitely NOT recommend putting the file in 2 places.
> this will lead to inconsistencies over time and you will never know
> what
> is going on. and nobody will be able to help you ;-(

I agree it's dirty, and that it may lead to inconsistencies over
time. But for example a diff could help out locating problems. I
think i'd go for symlinks myself though, just not sure if that's
doable on win32.

> btw, 'help''-clicking on [object] will open the help-patch in the
> reference-folder too, so this is not the reason why you should put it
> into ./extra

Thanks for clarifying! I was in fact hoping to provoke (in the
positive sense) a reply like this, to gain knowledge my self.

> as for the help-browser not being able to browse extra/: this is imo a
> bug in the help-browser and should be fixed there. please send
> petitions
> to the upstream authors to fix it.

Not to be anal, but i think it is more like a design issue. But
having a 6.extra(-references) that shows the help files from the
extra folder in a organized manner, and leave internal help files in
5.references might be nice wrt separation. And maybe have the PDDP
all-about-* files somewhere else too. But thats just my taste
thursday morning.

Best, Steffen