[PD] minor but persistent annoyances

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 22 22:17:30 CET 2007

Hello all,

There are two minor issues in PD that I've ignored for a long time, but
they do tend to become annoying after long editing sessions.  (The fact
that I'm complaining about such small things attests to how amazing PD
is otherwise.)

1) Windows do not hold their size.  If I carefully set the size of a
patch window, it may or may not stay that way for a few edits, but
eventually, it will "grow".  I like to have the windows be just a little
bigger than the biggest element in my patch (usually a large background
canvas), but PD seems to sporadically resize the windows a bit bigger
than that.  I can't find a consistent behavior here, it just happens
eventually.

2) The opening position of property dialogs, when repeatedly accessed,
"wander" down the screen, until eventually, they are nearly off the
bottom of the screen.  I'm guessing the behavior is partly intentional,
to enable tiling of multiply-opened windows, but it happens even when
only one property window is open at a time.

I'm on PD-0.39.2-extended-test7, Mac Intel, if that's relevant.

Phil Stone
UC Davis