[PD] Feature Requests for Google Summer of Code

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Feb 26 04:44:30 CET 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 3:04 PM, Georg Holzmann wrote:

> Hallo!
>
> Maybe some people can give more feature requests which could be
> implemented within the google summer of code project.
>
> So that in the end we might have something that someone (Hans,
> Miller, IEM ?) can propose to google.

I can be the mentor organization, but I'll need help with the
proposal.  I am more than a bit overloaded these days.

> For pd-vanilla I guess it is hard to make proposals, because (as
> tim said) we don't know what miller would accept - so it would be
> nice if miller could say something to that !
>

> Some proposals:
>
> - GEM:
> make multiple windows possible (also no window)
> (and threaded GEM)

That sounds good.

> - GEM:
> code optimizing (SSE2, MMX)

I think it's already well optimized AFAIK.

> - GEM:
> firewire in/output, better recording of GEM output

Also good.

> - PDa: (Chris McCormick)
> porting latest Pd to PDAs (so updating Günters PDa)
> (patches back to Miller that make it possible to build regular Pd
> with no floats)

My bro and I have been tossing around a Palm port of PDa...

> - Buildsystem:
> rework of the pd-extended buildsystem, deb, rpm packages,
> integration of more externals (flext, GEM, ...),
> same support for all major platforms

Probably not sexy enough for a summer of code project, but would be
nice to have done.

> - pd-lib
> making a pd-core lib (see http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-
> dev/2006-01/005857.html)
> restructure all the externals in libraries and not by name (see
> also thread above)

I like that too.

.hc