[PD] a couple complex number abstractions

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Feb 27 06:26:59 CET 2007

Good stuff, thanks for solving these common complex operations
as useful abstractions Chuck.

Just to add a word to the previous discussion, I picked up a little
paperback called "Imagining Numbers" by Barry Mazur which is a great
idiots introduction to number theory, cartesian and polar forms and
the basis for complex numbers, all done with geometry, diagrams and
hardly any equations. There's plenty of dinner party conversation
as a history mathematicians like Girolamo Cardano, Nicolas Chuquet,
Dal Faro and Bombelli which explains the context to needing imaginary
numbers to solve problems. When you understand why ordinary cardinal
numbers can't solve certain problems it makes a whole lot more sense
why i was invented. I can reccomend this to any non-mathematician who
wants a gentle intro before getting stuck into something more formal.

a.