[PD] [PD-announce] KnobsAndSlidersDS

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Mar 1 06:34:27 CET 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:39:46AM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> I thought about this a bit more: Maybe it would be sufficient if the
> hit area of the slider's bar would be a bid bigger. "Jump" also
> probably is cool. But I'm not sure if it really would good if the
> movement wouldn't stop when the stylus leaves the slider area.

The double negatives in this sentence are confusing me. :) I think what
you mean is if the stylus is moving outside of the slider area, there
will be no effect on the slider. I think that's probably a good idea as
long as it doesn't "let go" of the slider. So if you move back inside
the area, it will continue to have an effect.

> > > And then I didn't really figure out how the knobs should be used. I
> >
> > They work by pressing down and then moving left or right. I guess I
> > should make this more intuitive. Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Ah, I thought, movement was either radial or up/down. I didn't even
> try left/right. It would be interesting to test radial movement. On a
> computer screen this is horrible of course, but it may work on a
> touchscreen, see above.

Radial movement could be pretty neat. I can put in up/down quite easily,
but radial would be a bit more complex (but I will probably try it
eventually).

> Another widget idea: Multisliders or [table] would be cool.

That would be cool! I also think a number box would be great, and a
general 'button' like a bang in Pd, and text/comments of some kind. My
progress implementing these will probably be quite slow, but I need all
these things before the end of the year, so I'll try to release early,
release often.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx