[PD] Google Summer of Code WIKI

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Thu Mar 1 21:20:52 CET 2007

hi all,

> >> not if done correctly, it should be portable, support multiple plugin
> >> formats (ladsa, dx, vst), etc.  would be a really good summer project.
> >>

> > you are right ... but aren't there already hosts for all the plugins ?
> >

> other way around, the project isnt to host plugins in pd, its to host pd
> patches as a plugins in other vst hosts (live, flstudio, whatever)...
> check out PdVST if you have a windows box... it works pretty well, but
> is based of a really outdated pd:
>
> http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~jsarlo/pdvst/

i've been changing some emails with stefano d'angelo, who is starting to
write a plugin wrapper, which is supposed to work with different plugin
backends (vst, ladspa ...) ... a pluggo for pd could make use of this
project in order to support several platforms out of the box. i guess,
stefano doesn't have a working prototype, yet, but it's probably a good
idea to join the development resources in order do avoid duplicate work.
his project website is http://sourceforge.net/projects/naspro/

in general, from my knowledge of the pd architecture, running pd in a
plugin environment would require some non-trival changes, it can't be
just implemented on top of the current implementation. which means, in
some way, this has to be incorporated into vanilla pd ...

so imo, such a project should be coordinated with miller in order to
avoid that the effort is wasted, just because he doesn't incorporate the
changes.

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://tim.klingt.org

Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness
  Samuel Beckett