[PD] Google Summer of Code WIKI

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Sat Mar 3 15:33:24 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 21:20 +0100, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> i've been changing some emails with stefano d'angelo, who is starting to
> write a plugin wrapper, which is supposed to work with different plugin
> backends (vst, ladspa ...) ... a pluggo for pd could make use of this
> project in order to support several platforms out of the box. i guess,
> stefano doesn't have a working prototype, yet, but it's probably a good
> idea to join the development resources in order do avoid duplicate work.
> his project website is http://sourceforge.net/projects/naspro/
>
> in general, from my knowledge of the pd architecture, running pd in a
> plugin environment would require some non-trival changes, it can't be
> just implemented on top of the current implementation. which means, in
> some way, this has to be incorporated into vanilla pd ...

Maybe this is a very naive solution, but couldn't we solve the problem
of getting audio data from PD into non-jack apps (that support some kind
of plugin), by writing a very simple (LADSPA, VST, AU etc.) plugin that
acts as a jack client.

e.g.:

Audacity -> LADSPA jack client plugin -> jack -> PD -> jack -> LADSPA
jack client plugin -> Audacity

The simplest case would use one 'jack client plugin' instance for each
audio channel to/from PD.

I've been meaning to implement this for a while, and maybe there's a
glaring flaw, but I can't see it right now..

Jamie