[PD] [textfile] behavior

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Mar 4 17:52:18 CET 2007

hi david

i had a look at your patch, but i didn't come to a solution,
respectively i wasn't able to figure out what the problem exactly is.

however, i think, what you want to achieve could be implemented much
easier, particularly easier to read. what makes it very difficult to
read, is the deep deepness of the message structure,  though at first
glance it doesn't look like a very complicated patch. for example:
before the right tree of a [trigger] is finished, it's 'banged' again,
so that it is triggered several times, before the left tree starts the
execution.  my mind is far too less capable of beeing aware, what the
actual state on each step really is.

i didn't make an example patch (ask me, if you want me to do so), but i
have some ideas for another approach.  i think i would 'control' the
[textfile] with an [until]-object. when triggered, [until]  keeps firing
'bang's  until you stop it. send the bangs to [textfile], so that on
each bang it's going one line further. you could parse the output of
[textfile], that  when the message, you are looking for, is coming out
[textfile], you could stop [until], and you have the 'cue' at the
desired position.

hope that helps...

roman