[PD] isosonic curves : level the perceptual loudness of different pitches

Alexandre Quessy listes at sourcelibre.com
Mon Mar 5 02:23:16 CET 2007

Hello all,
This abstraction is very nice, but computing matrices on every note is
quite expensive on the CPU, no? Perhaps it would be better to store it
in a table, let say using 60 (pd)db as a reference. The only thing is
that low and high notes are multiplied by factor much bigger than 1
and it makes the sound clip much. Maybe I should just use a [clip]
with the values read from the table. Any suggestion for something
usable on every day patching ?

Thanks,

2007/2/12, Denis Trapeznikoff <denissimo at gmail.com>:

> 2007/2/9, Ed Kelly <morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk>:
> > So, if you have a signal at 96dBPD (-4dBFS) and you set it to 90dBPD
> (-10dbFS), the loudness will be heard to drop by the same amount as when you
> then set it to 84dBPD (-16dBFS).
> ... but remember, that ear's frequency response curve is dependent on the
> level of sound... So the amount is not "the same".

Alexandre Quessy
http://alexandre.quessy.net