[PD] a little pitchshifter

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 21:15:26 CET 2007

I don't want to change the subject (and if needed, we can start a new
thread), but as this might be a related topic, here it is...

What would it take to turn this into a "Slowdown" abstraction?
Basically, I am interested in slowing down the tempo of a sound, but
NOT changing the pitch...

Am I off-base on this? Or can this be used as the starting point for
what I described?

Thanks,

Mike

On 3/5/07, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> Hallo,
> Kyle Klipowicz hat gesagt: // Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
>
> > Could aliasing be avoided by using a multi-pole low pass filter at
> > nyquist before sending the signal to the dac?
>
> No: Alias frequencies aren't too high, they are wrong frequencies,
> that have been mirrored at the Nyquist border. As soon as you try to
> play a sinewave at Nyquist + x, what you get is a sine at Nyquist - x,
> and you cannot lowpass out this frequency after it has been
> introduced.
>
> You can however upsample your signal first, then use a lowpass filter,
> then downsample again. See this chapter in The Book for more info:
> http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques/latest/book-html/node194.html
> and J07.oversampling.pd
>
> Ciao
> --
>  Frank Barknecht                 _ ______footils.org_ __goto10.org__

Help the Environment, Plant a Bush back in Texas!

"I place economy among the first and most important republican
virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared.
To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with
perpetual debt."
-- Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect and author (1743-1826)

"Give Peace a Chance" -- John Lennon (9 October 1940 – 8 December 1980)

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything
we have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician