[PD] PeRcolate?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Mar 6 13:17:24 CET 2007

Hallo,
Georg Holzmann hat gesagt: // Georg Holzmann wrote:

> > "Objection!" (Phoenix Wright)
> >
> > This license is non-open-source in that it does not allow any
> > commercial use. We must not have this in the CVS.
>
> Okay - but what is then e.g. Qt: it is open source (GPL) but when you
> use it in commercial products you need a commercial licence ...

You don't!

Qt is a bit different than that: You can either use Qt by the terms of
the GPL, and you can do this even in commercial products, but of
course then you have to follow the terms of the GPL, which for
example allows distribution of your Qt-program only, if you put it
under the GPL as well.

If you want to avoid the GPL, you can buy Qt under that other licence,
which probably does not require that you put your software under GPL.

Just to clear the smoke a bit more that is created by the word
"commercial": Everything that is included in a Linux distribution,
which can be bought for money - like Redhat or Novell/Suse and even
Debian -, then becomes commercial software: the Linux kernel, MySQL,
Apache, Audacity, and even Pd.

Ciao