[PD] Percolate

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Mar 7 15:42:33 CET 2007

Hallo,
Ivica Ico Bukvic hat gesagt: // Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> > That's not the problem. The problem is, that the current Percolate
> > license is not a free software license. Non-free licenses are
> > incompatible with the GPL, which flext uses. By distributing a version
> > of Percolate externals using their current license built with
> > GPL-flext you would be violating the GPL! So you are not allowed to
> > distribute your flext-Percolate ATM.
>
> Please pardon my ignorance, but will this be the case even if I distribute
> the ported code as source-only (assuming that I get a permission to do so
> from the original authors)?

I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand it, source or binary doesn't
matter: As long as you distribute a flext-external, source or binary,
you have to distribute it as GPL. This is impossible without violating
either the Percolate license or the GPL, because both are
incompatible: the Percolate license isn't a free license.

> Also, how does this affect Stk+flext, since Stk's license is not GPL
> either?

The Stk-license is perfectly compatible with the GPL, it's almost a
public domain license and doesn't try to restrict use and distributiom
in a way, as Percolate's license does. So there are no problems
linking flext and stk.

Ciao