[PD] Percolate

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Fri Mar 9 00:16:28 CET 2007

Am 09.03.2007 um 00:03 schrieb Tim Blechmann:

> On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 23:37 +0100, Thomas Grill wrote:
>>> Is Flext based externals, which need be GPL externals, violating the
>>> GPL when used as Max/MSP externals? If so, and if the GPL is not
>>> violated when using the Flext based externals with Pd, then it makes
>>> sense in my head to distinguish between binary and source wrt
>>> violation against the GPL. But Flext might have a clause that
>>> catches
>>> just that?
>>>
>> To my mind, flext-based Max externals would only violate the GPL, if
>> they were shipped closed-source with Max.
>> If the are GPL'd as well and installed by the user, i don't see
>> why this
>> should be a problem.
>
> although i don't really like this clause, the following description is
> quite clear:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF

I knew about this one, but i don't think that this is applicable if
there is no actual distribution of the non-GPLd program with GPLd
plugins.
I might be wrong, though. Anyway, i don't care much - if the GPL is
odd enough to violate against such usage i would consider a different
license. Idealism gone.

greetings,
Thomas

--