[PD] generative patches on mobile phones?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Mar 9 02:18:23 CET 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 02:06:38AM -0800, yukio kuroiwa wrote:
> hi, sorry for this stupid question... is a way of making generative pd
> patches for mobile phones?
> or is there any other alternative of creating generative music for
> mobile phones that support java?

Hi Yukio,

Not a stupid question. I am sure it's possible to make generative
patches for mobile phones, but it would take a lot of work.

Firstly, you might like to check out PDa which is a stripped back
fixed-point version of Pure Data which you can compile for many different
embedded processors such as those used in mobile phones.  You'd then
need to get a compiler for each phone that you wanted to do this on and
make PDa compile for that phone.  <http://gige.xdv.org/pda/>

As for Java, perhaps you could use some parts of the jMax project? Or
you could roll your own solution, but in my experience there is a large
variance in the capabilities of Java on mobile phones (so much for
"machine independence").

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx