[PD] PD-list Digest, Vol 24, Issue 41

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 01:48:37 CET 2007

On 3/8/07, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> Hallo,
> Jukka Boehm hat gesagt: // Jukka Boehm wrote:
>
> > Thank you, I got the point, that help-files
> > in the context-menu of an object are not
> > necessariely linked to the correspondig
> > "doc.Resource". Yes,- I?am  using the
> > counter described in "cyclone". In "test4"
> > the counter was working like in the "markex"
> > -help-file shown.
> > "/Pd-0.39.2-extended-test7.app/Contents/Resources/doc/5.reference/
> > cyclone/counter.pd"
> > "/Pd-0.39.2-extended-test7.app/Contents/Resources/doc/5.reference/
> > markex/counter-help.pd"
>
> You *may* be able to use a specific counter by giving it a path like
> [markex/counter] or [cyclone/counter]. But I didn't test this and it
> may still be that one overwrites the other.
>
> As there are several incompatible [counter] externals, I really would
> recommend to avoid them all and replace them with a custom one built
> with internal objects. Attached counting tutorial may give you a
> start. Then you could just build a counter you like, give it a
> personal name like jukka-counter.pd and replace all counters you use
> with that one, for example using an object replacement script as
> describe in the "tips and tricks" page on puredata.info
>
> Ciao
> --
>  Frank Barknecht                 _ ______footils.org_ __goto10.org__

That's nice, too bad I didn't have this advice a year ago. Back then I
just started VJing, my patches weren't put together that well, then I
got a new version of pd-extended and it broke all my counters (I was
using the one from GEM). It took me a week to fix all my broken
abstractions!!!

Now I know enough python, that I could probably have found a way to
replace the [counter] objects automatically with some other
abstraction, using some script, but I wasn't prepared to do that back
then.

Actually, it would be cool to have a repository for Python scripts to
do this kind of thing, and other useful PD-related tasks. I'm doing
little scripts using python image library that are very useful
preparing images for Gem. But maybe anybody who cares can already do
it themselves, I don't know...

~David