[PD] noisy soundcard

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 07:09:32 CET 2007

If you can get hold of a transformer PSU for your laptop
that is a very reliable solution. It's not really a question
of ground "loops", so much as switched mode power blocks tend
to float at up to 80 volts above ground, especially the cheap
ones. They throw off horrible little spikes at 100Hz where the
triac cuts each cycle and those propagate everywhere.
Another fix might be to power the Edirol from its own transformer
instead of using USB to power it, then make a USB cable that
is data only, no power.