[PD] [PD-dev] Separating GUI from the engine in PD

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Mar 13 13:36:52 CET 2007

Pierpaolo Marcon wrote:
> Thx to everybody for the suggestions. Indeed, on the DSP I can't use the
> network layer, so I will have to make the GUI (running on
> a PC) communicate with the engine (running on the DSP) through...the
> serial port maybe.

hmm, i wouldn't do that.
i would make a patch on my pc (with pd-gui), but with careful design and
crafty tricks i would make the patch non-interactive (so that it doesn't
require a gui at all).

then i would load this patch on the dsp (without gui), and off you go.

as soon as you communicate between pd and pd-gui (in whatever protocol),
you will need your dsp-cycles for gui-updates instead of dsp-stuff.

mf.ase
IOhannes