[PD] Binary - integer conversion

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Mar 17 10:34:28 CET 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:18:12 -0600
"David Powers" <cyborgk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow I thought for sure this would be built in ... or at least a common
> external.

It possibly is. I'm just showing you how to do it from scratch in a way
that directly follows the algorithm Kyle pointed you at.

You could use << and >> to rotate your numbers, and other ways to do it
differently. Making it extensible/flexible so that you can work on
8, 16, 32 or bigger rythmns is an important consideration, and you
usualy end up using lists to do that or adopt a fixed width approach.

> I guess speed is the issue here for me, rather than the ability to
> convert per se.

The binary representation of beats has come up before, several times and
although it is seductive as an apparently efficient data structure it
has a bunch of its own pitfalls and weaknesses that I'm sure you will have
fun discovering :) As for speed, I don't think the conversion stage is
where you will gain much opimisation anyway if your premise is to save
cycles by doing bitwise transformations on integers.

> This would be a good reason to write my first external
> I guess.

Yes it would be a good task to do. It's quite trivial
in C. You could make a simple and general [bit n]
that returns the nth bit of a decimal int on its
left inlet. To do it properly and make it maintainable
perhaps some arguments for byte/word size and endiness
would help.