[PD] Binary - integer conversion

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Mar 17 20:24:15 CET 2007

Martin Peach wrote:

> Also if my string patch is applied to pd, you can use [str drip 1 0 1 0
> 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1] to output that sequence one at a time. Since the floats
> are always 1 or 0 there won't be any problems with long strings.

in theory this is correct.
nevertheless, when saving a patch containing a "string" (this is: a
symbol) "101", pd will eventually parse this as number 101.0 on
re-loading the patch.
therefore i proposed a truly symbolic representation.

of course you could also use some prefix to enforce it a symbol, like
#100110100, but then you have an additional character just to workaround
pd's limitations with string handling.
using +--++-+- (or IOIIIOIOI, or ...) is cleaner in a sense that it
totally represents the 101001 scheme but deals (as opposed to works
around) pd's shortcomings.

mfga.sdr
IOhannes