[PD] lowering gem camera capture CPU overhead

Anders Friberg andersf at speech.kth.se
Sun Mar 18 20:48:00 CET 2007

Hi Ico,
I've run into exactly the same problem. Most probably it is the decoding
of the firewire signal that eats the cpu cycles. The dv format (same as
firewire) is compressed into a 29 Mbits/sec stream (see e.g.
http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#DVformats) that needs to be
unpacked before processing in GEM (or any other video software). My
solution is to use analog video cameras with a capture card.  In this
way I am able to use four simultaneous cameras using less than half of
the cpu power on a standard winpc with pentium 4, 3GHz. I don't need
much picture quality so I got really cheap surveillance CCD cameras
costing less than 50 euro each connected to a four-input capture card
(about 190 euro). Another great thing is that your are not limited in
cable length as with firewire. Another solution would be to find a
firewire capture card with built-in decoder (I guess there are such
cards out there).
/Anders