[PD] Zexy object urn bug?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Mar 27 23:02:09 CEST 2007

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> obviously, if it's described in the help-patch it has to behave like
> that (that is why i don't describe features in the help-patches ;-))
>
> would be ok (for everybody, not just you) if the empty bang had to be
> triggered separately (just like in [textfile])?
>
> e.g. [urn 3]
> would output 3 random numbers; when banged a 4th time, it would (only)
> output a bang at the right-hand side; when banging a 5th time it would
> output a random number again.

IMO it would be best and most flexible, if the urn would not
automatically refill when it's empty. And actually that's the way, two
of the three (I checked it: Cyclone, maxlib and zexy have one) [urn]s
work and I based my urne.pd abstraction on that approach as well. The
right "EOF" outlet always can be used to refill the urn, so no
functionality would be missed, if needed.

> this is somewhat weird, as banging the object 40 times will only give
> you 30 random numbers

Like in Lotto: Playing 60 of 45 will only give you 45 numbers as well,
but at least you always win!

> (but for those who don't care about the wraparound
> but really want 40 numbers instead, they could just feedback the 2nd
> outlet to the left inlet)
>
> it would be interesting to know whether there are objections from other
> users of this object.

Which one? ;)

Ciao