[PD] Cymatics/Chladni figures simulation

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 28 16:32:54 CEST 2007

Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> Martin Peach wrote:
>
>> Charles Henry wrote:
>>

>>> The sand still could be tricky... you would maybe have the individual
>>> particles at random locations, initially, and compute a gradient of
>>> the vibrations to determine movements.
>>>

>> When I saw the sand arranging itself I thought "cellular automaton".
>>
>> Martin
>>

> I thought that the patterns and the various configurations in chladni
> figures depend on the materials used.
>
> Am I wrong?
>
> c.

The patterns probably depend on the stiffness of the plate/membrane as
well as its shape, and the grain size and density of the sand. By
analogy with the Karplus-Strong vibrating string, which is a
one-dimensional CA, usually the stiffness of the string is ignored.
Also, the grain size would be the same as the pixel size and the density
would be ignored. I see it as being like 2D version of the KS waveguide,
with the superimposed grains moving in each time step towards the
neighbour whose vertical acceleration is the lowest among 8 neighbours.
Apart from the difficulty of doing a 2D KS, there is the further
complication of an external frequency forcing (maybe introduced at the
edges of the plate?).

Martin