[PD] attack/release for spectral gate [was: is this a spectral gate?]

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 08:44:37 CEST 2007

Hi Chuck!

Actually I was working on it tonight.  The problem with it is that it
is too harsh and leaves too many artifacts on the signal right now
because the binary [>~] from zexy needs to be smoothed out with
attack/release that persists across different blocks in time.  What I
tried tonight was successive delay lines where the block starts out at
0.25 of its original amplitude, then passes to another delay and is
amplified to 0.5, then to 1, held at 1, down to 0.5, and then to 0.25
and back off.  Successive delay lines that increase and then decrease
were the only way I could think to do this job of smoothing it out
over time and preserve information from past blocks of audio.  I've
attached the patch as I was working on it tonight.

However, this has some problems of its own and I was getting a lot of
high frequencies that I didn't want there, so I think this approach
will need to be windowed as well - the delay lines may need to be
smoothed too, something along the lines of the pitch shifting example
in the documentation, except in the frequency domain??  I dunno and
I'm in a little bit over my head at this point.  It's hard to measure
and assess what you do right and wrong in the frequency domain!
Sometimes a brother just needs a scope.  I am also open to fact that I
am completely wrong about this :)

What you're describing, if I read you correctly, is I think
implemented in the noisegate example in Pd's doc... if they are
different, could you clarify?  but all of these just sound bad to me
and of poor quality, they really need attack and release to sound
convincing/interesting and less "artifact-y" when you really push
them.  I'm all for destruction/mangling of audio, and FFT seems truly
powerful in that regard, but I just don't like these results yet.  Of
course, Tom Erbe's soundhack filters already do this, but he hasn't
responded to this on how he got attack/release to work for him - it
may need to be handled differently in Pd as opposed to whatever he
used to code those VSTs.

That said, I would *love* to hear/try what you come up with.  Let's be
in touch about this!

Kevin