[PD] two pd/GEM instances - one gemwin

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 15:09:56 CEST 2007

What are you trying to speed up?

OpenGL is not very friendly to multiple CPUs.  The driver will serialize the
two processes no matter what so the gain will be minimal if any.

The latest DirectShow versions of GEM will use multiple CPUs for
decompressing video and grabbing frames from a camera.  The pix_ objects do
not use multiple CPUs.

On the 'Unix' based OSes (OSX and Linux) the pix_share_read/write objects
allow passing video frames between Pd/GEM processes.  Windows does not have
a similar enough shared memory system to make it work like the other two
OSes.