[PD] Trying to compile Gem for ubuntu & ATI Radeon Mobility M300

Jeannette Bohg bohg.jeannette at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 30 18:37:21 CEST 2007

Dear list,
when trying to load Gem within pd I get the following error

/usr/local/lib/pd/extra/Gem.pd_linux: undefined symbol: glUniform2i
Gem: can't load library

which has been reported before on this list. It has been proposed to
compile Gem against another OpenGL version (instead of using aptitude
install gem) or/and to install the Ubuntu's Bleeding Edge Drivers by
Alberto Milone.

I would like to try that but unfortunately I cannot even run configure
for compiling Gem. I have done the following steps:

1. Downloaded GemLibs & gem-0.90.0 and copied them both to the same
src directory such that they are neighboured.

2. Run makeauxlibs within GemLibs. Compiled without errors.

3. Entered gem-0.90.0/src/Gnu (deleting config.cache) and tried to run
./configure which gives the following output:

creating cache ./config.cache
HEAD: /usr/include /usr/local/include ../../../GemLibs/
LIBS: ../../../GemLibs/ /usr/local/lib /usr/local/src
Configuring for Gem.pd_linux
checking for gnu make... yes
checking for c++... c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for sh... sh
checking for X... libraries , headers
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet_stub... no
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for MMX... checking MMX found...
.: 2315: makeauxlibs: not found

The script makeauxlibs is existing in this very directory. No idea why
it can't be found. The path ../../../GemLibs/ is as already mentioned
leading correctly to the GemLibs directory.

4. I tried to run ./src/Gnu/configure from the gem-0.90.0 directory.
This leads to the following output:

[...]
checking for main in -lX11... yes
checking for main in -lXext... yes
checking for XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines in -lXxf86vm... no
checking for sin in -lm... yes
checking for main in -lz... yes
checking for glInitNames in -lGL... yes
checking for gluLookAt in -lGLU... yes
checking for png_set_compression_level in -lpng... yes
checking for TIFFOpen in -ltiff... yes
checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... yes
test: 3228: ==: unexpected operator
test: 3234: ==: unexpected operator
checking for FTGLPixmapFont in -lftgl... yes
test: 1: ==: unexpected operator
checking for open in -lgltt... no
checking alternate -lgltt in ../../../GemLibs/ /usr/local/lib
/usr/local/src... find: ../../../GemLibs/: No such file or directory
configure: error: Build gltt library somewhere

So, I tried to compile gem with the option --without-gltt /
--without-gltt which didn't solve the config-error. Then I tried to
install the gltt library leading to more errors.

5. After successfully installing the freetype-lib I run ./configure
--with-ttf-dir /usr/local/src/freetype-2.1.10/ --with-ttf-includes
/usr/local/src/freetype-2.1.10/include/ --with-ttf-libraries
/usr/local/lib for the gltt libs. The Makefile was created and running
make led to

/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link g++  -g -O2 -Lyes  -o libgltt.la -rpath
/usr/local/lib  FTBitmapFont.lo FTEngine.lo FTFace.lo FTFont.lo
FTGlyph.lo FTGlyphBitmap.lo FTGlyphPixmap.lo FTGlyphVectorizer.lo
FTInstance.lo FTPixmapFont.lo GLTTBitmapFont.lo GLTTFont.lo
GLTTGlyphTriangulator.lo GLTTOutlineFont.lo GLTTPixmapFont.lo
GLTTGlyphPolygonizer.lo GLTTGlyphPolygonizerHandler.lo  -lXmu -lXi
-lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11 -lm
cd: 5059: can't cd to yes
libtool: link: cannot determine absolute directory name of `yes'
make: *** [libgltt.la] Error 1

And well the Makefile looks rather strange with for example:

TTF_INCLUDES = -Iyes
TTF_LDFLAGS = -Lyes
ttf_includes = yes
ttf_libraries = yes

The latter is probably rather something for the gtll-list, but maybe
someone had that problem already?

I would also appreciate a gem-compilation without the font support if
anyone knows how this is possible.

Thanks a lot in advance, Jeannette.