[PD] Tuning mp3cast~

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Apr 2 17:45:47 CEST 2007

hello richard

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 15:52 +0100, Richard Lewis wrote:
> Hello PDers,
>
> I've just taken receipt of a dedicated Debian server on which I intend to run
> an application which uses PD with mp3cast~. I've just managed to transfer the
> application from my laptop to the new server and get it working (or at least
> the PD/Icecast bit anyway).
>
> When I point my MP3 streamer (mplayer) to the stream, however, I get very
> intermittent playback and its status line looks a bit like this:
>
> A:  22.7 (22.6) of 0.0 (unknown) 1273.2% 0%
>
> Is that huge percentage a buffer?
>
> I get the impression that it can't get the data quickly enough from the server
> in order to give smooth, continuous playback. Does that sound likely? And is
> it likely to be the speed of the connection? Running over my LAN in testing
> the playback had a 1-2 second delay, but was smooth.

yes, it sounds like the connection is too slow for transmitting the
stream. where are you feeding the server from? i mean, does the patch
with [mp3cast~] also run on your debian server or does it run on a local
computer and is upstreaming the audio to the server? if the latter is
the case, could it be, that the upstreaming is the bottleneck?

> Could reducing the various rates at which mp3cast~ works make a difference?
> And, if so, which rates and to what levels would make a difference. At the
> moment I have:
>
> sample rate: 44100
> bitrate: 128
> mode: 1 (joint stereo; the input is stereo)
> quality: 4
>
> I'm not really all that knowledgable on what values are valid or extreme for
> these properties.
> Any advice would be very welcome!

essentially, only the bitrate makes a difference in terms of bandwidth.
lowering the bitrate will also reduce the audio quality, of course. try
different values: 128, 96, 64, 48 are common values.

roman