[PD] [not really OT] a contemporary sensibility?

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:07:15 CEST 2007

> I really like that Kevin. Is there any connection between the
> parts of the triptych other than a purely aesthetic one
> (which works very well imho)?

This is what I am suspecting... I sense that there is some kind of
sensibility about interconnectedness, complexity, and maybe even
adaptability/openness that is somehow symptomatic of our current
predicament.  I have been reading Deleuze/Guattari's "A Thousand
Plateaus" recently, and I am sure that many of you are familiar with
the idea of the rhizome, and now with books like Hardt and Negri's
"Multitude" there are further discussions on multiplicity, identity,
and democracy.

I guess I am one to suspect that even aesthetics are informed by some
kind of concept or at least an "impulse"... I am a fan of Mehretu's
work and the SI, and I just had this sort of connection go off in my
brain last night and now I want to know everyone's thoughts :)  Also I
think in the Processing communities there is a strong leaning toward
this "complex" interconnected aesthetic as well.

What do you guys (and girls?) think it is that makes this a plausible
vision of the forces at work in the world?  Do you think it is a
perspective informed by technology, the amount of information flow in
postindustrial societies and its inherent politics?  I see this get
even more interesting when we think about the "glitch"... or imagine a
psychogeography of a digital network... I liked that idea of listening
to the linux kernel!

Thanks,
Kevin

--