[PD] [PD-announce] Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc1 released

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Apr 16 09:53:11 CEST 2007

Hallo,

> On Apr 15, 2007, at 5:53 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >Ah, okay. I was just encountering these kinds of overlapping comments
> >in some other patches by other people as well so I was fearing, that
> >it might an incompatibility with patches written using pd-extended and
> >us old-school Courier folks.
>
> There are probably also incompatibilities in the patches.  There
> definitely are size incompatibilities between the new font Pd-
> extended and other pd versions.

So now there *are* size incompatibilities with Miller's Pd? I'm just
asking to be prepared, I don't run the Pd from pd-extended, I prefer a
plain MSP-Pd in the latest version.

> There are incompatibilities between  different versions of Pd (0.38,
> 0.39, 0.40), and each of those  versions different platforms
> (Windows, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X).  This  version is the same size
> to the pixel on each platform.  There is, of  course, no way that
> the new sizes could be compatible with all of  variations.  But I
> hope you'll agree that this is a better situation.

Of course having Pd look the same on all platforms is a good goal, and
Miller also supported this in the past. I'm not against solving this
at all.  But of course incompatibilities should be kept to a minimum,
I hope you'll agree with that. (Besides the OS-issues, no versions of
MSP-Pd that I've used, had size-incompatibilities when using the same
font.)

I'm just a bit worrind: Now that you've released new fonts into the
(pd-extended) wild, there's an additional, new variable to consider
with regard to compatibility when going further with font
enhancements.

Ciao