[PD] [PD-announce] Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc1 released // fonts

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Apr 16 22:52:32 CEST 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:
>
>> I think that, since font sizes now differ between platforms, it's
>> probably
>> OK to introduce a new, uniform font size as long as it doesn't
>> exceed that
>> of any currently used one by more than about a pixel... and
>> indeed, it will
>> be a huge benefit to get this straightened out at last!
>
> Yep, definitely.
>
> I now had a real look at pd-extended.  Some comments: The properties
> menu for IEMGUIs still explicitly specify names like "Deja Sans ..."
> or "Helvetica". I think, it would be better to use more general names:
> "Mono", "Sans Serif" and "Serif". That way it would be easier to map
> the names to different font faces eventially or when "-typeface X" is
> used.
>
> Then very much, even with Deja, I would prefer to have a bold typeface
> back. I find the non-bold fonts hard to read and for my tastes they
> are too similar in width to the object borders. Btw: the number in
> number boxes is positioned a little bit to low, not in the center.

I forgot to ask more questions about this.  It's a significant
change, but not one that I have not put considerable thought into.

What font size to do use for your Pd patches?  When you use fonts of
this size in other apps, do you have it set to bold?.  I thought
about it and looked around, and I noticed that nobody that I saw uses
bold fonts for text unless it's a header or special case.  Even when
reading code.  Also, most people don't use 10pt fonts for normal
reading.  For example, the default font for web pages is usually 12pt
or 16pt.

I think that Pd's text is not really like reading a block of text,
but maybe more like webpage menus.  It seems those are mostly not in
bold fonts also, but sometimes are.

My first feeling when I saw the non-bold Pd was similar to your
reaction: it seemed hard to read.  I decided to try it for a while,
since every other app I use does not use bold fonts.  Now I am use to
it and have a hard time reading the old bold Pd patches, especially
compared to the new font at 12pt.  One big annoyance is the tiny - in
DejaVu.  Arg... Anyone want to make a Pd font?

.hc