[PD] [PD-announce] Pd-0.39.2-extended-rc1 released // fonts

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Apr 16 23:40:41 CEST 2007

Hallo,

> I forgot to ask more questions about this.  It's a significant
> change, but not one that I have not put considerable thought into.
>
> What font size to do use for your Pd patches?  When you use fonts of
> this size in other apps, do you have it set to bold?.  I thought
> about it and looked around, and I noticed that nobody that I saw uses
> bold fonts for text unless it's a header or special case.

I use bold in every text editor and terminal I use, which is, where I
use mono fonts. Normally I use Lucida Sans Mono Bold or set
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Bold. I think, in general it's best to let
people choose, however it's not possible to use "-typeface" or "-font"
to switch between bold and normal.

> Even when  reading code.  Also, most people don't use 10pt fonts for
> normal  reading.  For example, the default font for web pages is
> usually 12pt  or 16pt.

It's because web people optimize for Windows! Windows still has a
default DPI setting of 75 IIRC which is really old school on most
modern screens. On my current machine I have a DPI of 90x89, which
results in Windows websites having a very small font. With small 12"
laptops and high resolutions the DPI settings get even more confusing
for web and GUI designers. In the long run, zooming/scaling is the
only solution that could make everyone happy.

> I think that Pd's text is not really like reading a block of text,
> but maybe more like webpage menus.  It seems those are mostly not in
> bold fonts also, but sometimes are.

Menu styling is a fashion thing, which will change every year. On the
site I manage (www.dradio.de) our designer made every menu bold, teh
NY Times has no bold menu at all.

Ciao