[PD] Question on RTC

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Apr 16 23:54:42 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Mike McGonagle hat gesagt: // Mike McGonagle wrote:

> I was working with some of the RTC stuff over the weekend and I had a
> question about the abstraction 'xrandom'. While I understand that you
> were probably basing this on the 'xrandom' from the Max version of
> this, I would think that as is, 'xrandom' is a little different from
> similar objects.
>
> As this is based on the 'urne' abstraction, and it seems to follow the
> same premise as the 'textfile' and 'qlist' objects, I would think that
> 'xrandom' would do this as well.
>
> Basically, the difference that I see is that each of these other
> objects ('urne', 'textfile', etc.), all produce an output on the left
> as long as there is more to output, and bangs on the right outlet
> after the list is done, and does NOT output anything on the right.
>
> 'xrandom', on the other hand, DOES produce an output on the LEFT at
> the same time it is outputting a bang on the right to indicate that
> the list of objects is complete.

This is true, however the bang on the right outlet is sent before the
new number is sent to the left outlet (right-to-left ordering as in
[trigger float bang]. I based [xrandom] on the RTC-Max object, where
every bang will produce a number without any breaks in between.

> So, is what I am describing better done using other means? Is
> 'xrandom' expected to be used as a "bang as much as you want" type of
> abstraction? Is this behaviour based on the RTC/Max version?

Yes, it's that kind of object in the Max version of RTC:

  Outputs random numbers <int> that are never repeated unless all
  numbers have been generated (series-principle).

The right outlet's bang is more a convenience outlet, not like the one
in [textfile].

If you don't what the new value directly after all number have been
generated, you should probably use [urne] directly where you just send
[clear( from the right outlet, but no bang automatically.

Ciao