[PD] Arduino stuff - Summary of answers

Tim Boykett tim at timesup.org
Tue Apr 17 12:00:12 CEST 2007

On 16/04/2007, at 7:02 PM, Tim Boykett wrote:
>   - is it possible to have multiple arduinos being talked with by
> one PD patch on one machine? Has anyone tried this?

This should be no problem at all. Quoting HCS the comport number is
the argument to the arduino abstraction:

[arduino 1]
[arduino 2]
[arduino 5]

The numbers depend on your computer, of course.  Send a 'devices'
message to get the numbering:

[devices(

[arduino]

>   - is there a Max version of the Pduino interface stuff? We are a
> multiple
> platform house, so it would be good if we could use the same arduino
> firmware for multiple platforms, i.e. PD and Max.

The Arduino website is a little inconsistent. The Max/MSP page now also
points to:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Interfacing/Firmata

as well. PDuino is now firmata and all is well.

SimpleMessageSystem also works on both platforms, but I think
that it is not a sensor system but a general system to talk with the
Arduino board: it can do input and output, but can also be used to
set up parameters of a program running on the Arduino. So it is
even more flexible than firmata which is more flexible than Arduino2Max.

>   - Bluetooth Arduino: any luck on linux or OSX so far? Last I heard
> there were problems...

Feb 2007 Erich Berger reported success on Windows, no success on Linux.
I cannot find any other reports.