[PD] font size survey - please try it on your machine!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 17 16:06:21 CEST 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 3:11 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Just to know what we are up against with the font size problem, I
>> have started a patch to document all the key parts.  Please try it on
>> your machine to see if my measurements are correct.  Also, please
>> fill in any that you are running.
>
> Could you elaborate a bit how this patch is supposed to be used?  In
> which regard should the fonts in the upper half line up: vertically,
> height, horizontal lenght? Or just "in general"?

If the sizing was all working nicely, the fonts would line up exactly
on the top section when both are set to 10 point since they are the
same font.  That is what we are trying to achieve.  But that doesn't
happen very much.

So here are the three tests, from the top to bottom:

- top: adjust the font size in the canvas until it matches the
message box. Move the message box over the canvas font so it lines up
it exactly.  Mark down the font size in the canvas.  If you can't get
an exact match, write (closest)

- middle: copy and paste one of the canvases with the dimensions in
it (e.g. 69x16).  Take this canvas and make it fit exactly over the
[courier10( message box. then put it in the right place in the grid.

- bottom: copy and paste one of the canvases with the dimensions in
it (e.g. 53x6).  Take this canvas and make it fit exactly over the
comment "courier1)". then put it in the correct place in the grid.

Here's an updated version: