[PD] Test Audio: just trying to hear anything

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Apr 18 09:26:42 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Javier García hat gesagt: // Javier García wrote:

> One thing more: when i open Pd, i push over the "compute audio" button (it
> becomes purple color). I open "Media" and i find "default-MIDI" in purple.
>
> If i select "ALSA-MIDI" the console shows this:
>
> "ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such
> file or directory
> Pd: system call timed out"
>
> I have supposed ALSA it not installed so I have write this:

I'm very sure, that ALSA is installed, otherwise you wouldn't have
sound at all. For whatever reason, on some systems the kernel modules
for the ALSA midi subsystem aren't properly loaded, this will lead to
this error. You can fix this on a running system by "sudo modprobe
snd-seq" and make it permanent by adding a line "snd-seq" to the file
"/etc/modules" to make the sequencer module load automatically after a
reboot on Debian-based systems (like Ubuntu etc.)

Ciao