[PD] pd command line arguments

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Apr 18 16:10:18 CEST 2007

Hallo,
forwinder hat gesagt: // forwinder wrote:

> I was trying last night to start pd from command line with the
> appropriate sound card selected.  I tried pd -alsa -alsadev hw:1,0
> and also replacing the space between the soundcard and the -alsadev
> with a = and :. On every case pd did not recognize the commands.

Recently I struggled with the same thing until I discovered the logic
behind the ALSA device numbering. The option to use to select an ALSA
soundcard actually is "-alsa -audiodev NUMBER". (I'm not sure if
"-alsaadd" does anything at all.)

Now how to find NUMBER? Two rules:

a) it starts counting at 1, not at 0.
b) Every physical soundcard found will result in two "-audiodev"
numbers for ALSA: one hw-device and one plughw-device.

This is probably best explained with an example:

Assume you have two soundcards, e.g.

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [M2496          ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96
                      M Audio Audiophile 24/96 at 0xf500, irq 11
 1 [Audio          ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio
                      USB Audio at usb-0000:00:10.4-1.4, full speed

Then "-alsa -audiodev 1" will open hw:0,
"-alsa -audiodev 2" will open plughw:0,
"-alsa -audiodev 3" will open hw:1 and
"-alsa -audiodev 1" will open plughw:1

Ciao