[PD] Linux - which distribution to use?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Apr 18 17:05:59 CEST 2007

Are you still running Ubuntu?  Which version? If so, run this command
in a Terminal window:

/usr/local/bin/pd -stderr

Then copy and paste the resulting text into and email and send it to
this list.  Mostly, your Ubuntu needs to have some packages
installed.  You could also try running these commands in the Terminal:

aptitude install tcl8.4 tk8.4 libasound2 libjack0.100.0-0

aptitude install libspeex1 libsndfile1 fftw3 libogg0 libvorbis0a
libvorbisenc2 libvorbisfile3

That should get you up and running at the minimum.

.hc

On Apr 18, 2007, at 6:11 PM, Thomas Jeppesen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to get PD up and running on linux for a while, but
> so far I've not been lucky, prolly because I'm a linux nub. The
> first installation I tried (Fedora) didn't have a familiar
> interface. The second (Ubuntu) did, but I couldn't install PD on it
> for some unknow reason. I used a tar-ball installation, and ran the
> "make install"-command and it did install on the computer, but PD
> just wouldn't start up. On the third distribution I tried JackLab,
> PD worked, but I had no internet connection.
> I'm used to run normal pc's (Windows), so I'm after a distribution
> that has a graphic desktop environment to not make it too
> unfamiliar for starters. But most of all I'm after a distribution
> that will run PD-extended and do it good. Does any of you have any
> recommendations to which distribution to choose and perhaps good
> linux and audio-sites for nubs like me?
>
> Cheers!
> Thomas

----

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic