[PD] pd command line arguments

forwinder forward at forwind.net
Wed Apr 18 21:23:14 CEST 2007

Cheers Frank,
That worked perfectly!

>Recently I struggled with the same thing until I discovered the logic
>behind the ALSA device numbering. The option to use to select an ALSA
>soundcard actually is "-alsa -audiodev NUMBER". (I'm not sure if
>"-alsaadd" does anything at all.)
>Now how to find NUMBER? Two rules:
>a) it starts counting at 1, not at 0.
>b) Every physical soundcard found will result in two "-audiodev"
>numbers for ALSA: one hw-device and one plughw-device.
>This is probably best explained with an example:
>Assume you have two soundcards, e.g.

>Then "-alsa -audiodev 1" will open hw:0,
>"-alsa -audiodev 2" will open plughw:0,
>"-alsa -audiodev 3" will open hw:1 and
>"-alsa -audiodev 1" will open plughw:1

do you have any idea how to initialize the midi?
I have used
# pd -alsa -audiodev 3 -alsamidi

pd starts with the audio sorted(thx) but although the alsamidi is selected one needs to actually open the dialog and hit apply to open the midi ports?
And only then can jack see pd as a possible midi client?
It would be nice to be able to kickoff the whole set up.