[PD] can't run Gem in Fedora with generic graphics (no GLX shader)?

Miller Puckette mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 18 23:01:35 CEST 2007

> > 2. split Gem into a core library (with almost no objects and
> > dependencies) and a whole bunch of single-object externals.
> > so if the [glsl_vertex] object uses calls unknown to your driver, this
> > object will refrain from loading but it won't hinder Gem from working.
>
> Perhaps this is not surprising, but this sounds good to me :).  What
> would the disadvantages be?  It would make Gem behave like the bulk
> of libs (minus pdp, pidip, msd, or any others that are optionally
> linked into one dll).  That would also help with the couple of
> remaining name conflicts in Gem, like scale, curve, etc.
>
> .hc

I agree with Hans-Christohpe.  I finally got Gem running on my machine simply
by deleting all the "manips" starting with glsl (just deleted the files and
recompiled).  The easiest thing would be just adding a configure switch,
but it might be smarter to spin off code that has non-free dependencies into
one or more separate libs.

cheers
Miller