[PD] Linux - which distribution to use?

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Thu Apr 19 07:04:02 CEST 2007

On Thu Apr 19, 2007 at 12:44:37AM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I am a big fan of Debian because the package management is so well
> done.

admittedly i havent used debian or related distrii for 2-3 years, so maybe my info is obsolete, but the package manager isnt that great.

the main problems are , theres no concept of SLOTs like there are in gentoo. so you end up with some packages with numbers in the names, and some without.

another is that the whole dependency thing and binary advantages breaks down and ends up in agonizing conflict when you want to say, use ubuntu but get some packages from the debian sid repo that arent in ubuntu, and some other ones from demudi..

another is its handling of build-from-source is pretty minimal compared to gentoo (and presumably sourcemage and arch).

and its hard to add things as a user. i mean on gentoo with your local overlay, its fairly simple. im not sure how to setup a local deb overlay and then automate the building of things - i guess it's possible but it wasnt really designed for that

and in general youll find yourself building 50% of a system from source if youre into obscure/new shit or some niche, at which point youll be dropped down to the level of slackware/LFS for the most part, compared to having a source manager do the work of finding the tarballs, extracting/configuring/building/installing for you..

another is the interruption of the installation process with the equiv of a modal dialog to prompt about /etc files replacement invidually...

for package managers i love paludis... much like trying 10 windowmanagers before settling on dwm, 10 media players before settling on mplayer, 10 email clients before settling on muttng, 5 OSes before settling on linux, you reach a point where something solves significantly more problems signficantly better than all the alternatives, and maybe if you use one repo, and never want to compile anything, Ubuntu is that answer..

  Ubuntu is Debian with a bit of extra polish for end users and