[PD] can't run Gem in Fedora with generic graphics (no GLX shader)?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Apr 19 08:58:26 CEST 2007

Miller Puckette wrote:

>> .hc
>>
> I agree with Hans-Christohpe.  I finally got Gem running on my machine simply
> by deleting all the "manips" starting with glsl (just deleted the files and
> recompiled).  The easiest thing would be just adding a configure switch,
> but it might be smarter to spin off code that has non-free dependencies into
> one or more separate libs.

well, i have had a hard time with configure switches: i once added the
disable-NV and disable-ARB switches, which just delayed the problem till
the advent of the glsl-shaders; i don't think a configure switch for any
possible driver is doable
so i ended up providing a very generic configure switch
"--with-glversion" which should allow you to enforce that no calls from
openGL-specs higher than the given version number are used.
e.g. "--with-glversion=1.5" should disable all openGL-2.0 (and up)
calls, which effectively also disables the glsl-stuff.
in my experience, this works pretty well.

chris has proposed this already for you, have you tried it and did it
not work?

deleting files from the canonical source is definitely not the way to go
(on the long run),

mfga.sdr
IOhannes

does anyone know (or rather: is there) a way to dynamically link objects
together and then strip all unused dependencies?