[PD] I created an ebuild for pd-0.40-p2

federico mescalinum at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 20:44:55 CEST 2007

On 4/20/07, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
> It seems that these ebuild files could use the existing build system
> quite easily.  The existing system isn't always pretty, but it
> works.  And ultimately we will both be better off if we join forces
> rather than have duplicate efforts.  I am definitely open to
> improving the existing system.

yeah! that sounds good, and is definitely better than having to patch
Makefiles from within ebuilds. (like in line21 of maxlib-9999
http://pd-overlay.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pd-overlay/pd-overlay/media-plugins/maxlib/maxlib-9999.ebuild?revision=97&view=markup
)

I can also help in fixing Makefiles, e.g. by collecting fixes, patches
and sed oneliners from our ebuilds

> And I can help get you up to speed
> via email, IM, IRC, voice, whatever.
>
> For example, in maxlib/maxlib-9999.ebuild, it could call the existing
> build system like this:
>
> src_compile() {
>         make -C /path/to/pure-data/externals maxlib
> }
>
> src_install() {
>         make -C /path/to/pure-data/externals DESTDIR="${D}" maxlib_install
> }
>
> And that would be enough to build and install.  This is how it was
> done for PlanetCCRMA.  Then you could generate this same .ebuild file
> using a script for all of the libraries built by Pd-extended.

I also would definitely prefer using your build system, since
everything resides in Makefiles, and consequentially everything is
less error-prone.

I am making an all-in-one pd-extended ebuild, for testing all the
(supported) externals, wich is as simple as writing:

# USE="oscx maxlib zexy" emerge =media-sound/pd-extended-9999

explanation: here I used USE flags to select which externals to
compile. generally those flags enable configure switches or compile
time features.
I used them to make everything fit into one ebuild, but if we like
having many separate ebuilds, it is very easy to split it up.

here is the actual ebuild, just in case you want to review how I did
use your build system:
http://pd-overlay.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pd-overlay/pd-overlay/media-sound/pd-extended/pd-extended-9999.ebuild?view=markup
(also submitting it to the gentoo-people's attention)

ciao
--
Federico