[PD] Test Audio: just trying to hear anything

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Apr 24 09:00:18 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Javier García hat gesagt: // Javier García wrote:

> I installed it and typed "speaker test". The only thing i heard was noise
> in the same time this lines below appeared.

speaker-test is testing with pink noise by default. To make sure it's
speaker-test, that you are hearing, you could also test with a sine
wave by calling speaker-test as:

$ speaker-test -t 2

"speaker-test -h" gives an overview of the possible options:

$ speaker-test -h

speaker-test 0.0.8

Usage: speaker-test [OPTION]...
-h,--help       help
-D,--device     playback device
-r,--rate       stream rate in Hz
-c,--channels   count of channels in stream
-f,--frequency  sine wave frequency in Hz
-F,--format     sample format
-b,--buffer     ring buffer size in us
-p,--period     period size in us
-t,--test       1=use pink noise, 2=use sine wave
-s,--speaker    single speaker test. Values 1=Left or 2=right

It seems your card is working. The error you get in Pd ("Couldn't sync
A/D" etc.) hints at a problem with Pd and your card. What card do you
have? Could you send the output of this command please:

$ cat /proc/asound/cards

Ciao