[PD] OSS/ALSA, DIO-errors

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 19:20:53 CEST 2007

Thanks for the info Derek, I have been getting mad crazy errors with ALSA
and now I know to use Jack.  Is ALSA really in that rough of shape??  It's
always been a pain for me since I run PPC hardware which is very, very
poorly supported by ALSA unfortunately (I don't think I've had a single
machine with a functional line in capture under linux...)

Kevin

On 4/25/07, Derek Holzer <derek at umatic.nl> wrote:

> OSS (emulation) and JACK are the interfaces of choice for Linux. Miller
> never really worked out direct ALSA support, and continues to recommend
> OSS long after its obsolescence. Of the two, I've found JACK more useful.
>
> best,
> d.
>
> moritz wrote:
>
> > ola,
> > i have also to say that i have often less problems with OSS emulation on
> > different linux-machines then direct with ALSA. With "direct"-alsa i
> > have a lot of DIO-errors:
> > A/D/A sync bla.. DAC blocked...(even with the same audio buffer)
>

> --
> derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
> ---Oblique Strategy # 83:
> "How would someone else do it?"